- Employer: Diamond Valley Learning Centre
- Work Type/s: Contract Part-Time
- Classification/s: Education and Training Youth
- Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
- Location: Melbourne
- Job posted on 31st July 2017
- Applications close: 13th August 2017
- Award classification and salary: Educational Services (Post-Secondary Education) Award and salary is based on years of experience
- Highly regarded not-for-profit organisation
- Progressive, enthusiastic and dedicated staff
- DVLC is a registered public benevolent institution (PBI) and offers all its employees an attractive salary. Packaging available up to $15,900 per annum via Simply Green Salary Packaging (simplygreen.com.au)
About the Organisation
The Diamond Valley Learning Centre started in 1974 to assist women returning to study. It was the first adult community education centre in Victoria. Over the years it has grown, and the program has expanded to meet a wide range of learners’ needs. Today, you certainly won’t find rows of students sitting silently copying from the blackboard! At DVLC students are encouraged to interact and participate in class activities; there are a wide range of projects for students to get involved in.
Are you a school teacher looking for a change? Would you like to work with VCAL students in a homely, welcoming environment? We are a small RTO located in Greensborough with an award-winning VCAL program. Our focus is on student re-engagement, and we run a trauma-informed, strengths-based program of creative, engaging lessons leading to success in gaining the VCAL certificate. We have a vacancy for a teacher who is flexible yet highly organised, has a repertoire of proven activities and is open to creating new student-centred materials and is keen to work in a community in which two days are never the same. You will be working with teenagers and a dedicated team of teachers. This job is challenging but, for the right person, hugely rewarding. Our VCAL Coordinator, Tracey Wood, will be happy to chat with you if you think this job could suit you perfectly.
This is a rewarding position, working with a passionate, committed and diverse team of professionals and young people.
A full drivers licence and police check, are required. DVLC is a child safe organisation and takes our duty of care with the utmost seriousness.
Job Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Ensure VCAA compliance in the development, delivery and assessment of appropriate VCAL learning materials across the levels of Foundation, Intermediate and Senior (as required)
- Promote an inclusive and stimulating classroom environment to encourage independent learning, delivering activities that are innovative and relevant to the student’s interests and needs
- Support students to identify and work towards further education, training and employment pathways goals
- Monitor, evaluate and report on student progress in key learning areas and implement strategies to support students to achieve their learning outcomes
- Completion of class attendance records and students reports
- Implement effective student and classroom management consistent with DVLC’s policy and procedure
- Support student engagement, including parent liaison, as well as respond to incidents and discipline matters as they arise. Direct students to VCAL Coordinator if further intervention or support is required
- Work collaboratively with the Wellbeing staff, Teacher Aide and VCAL Coordinator to identify and support student well-being and academic needs
- In liaison with the Pathways Coordinator, identify potential further education/training needs and interests of students during classroom delivery
- With the support of the VCAL Coordinator, identify students at risk of disengaging or not successfully progressing through their VCAL program, develop strategies to address student engagement and educational progress for students at risk of non-completion
- Create positive relationships with students and colleagues and maintain a high level of professionalism in line with DVLC’s policies
Policies, procedures and systems:
- Play a role in raising DVLC’s profile to the community by portraying a positive image to the community and not disclose confidential information about staff, organisation, students and stakeholders
- Positively contribute to workplace harmony by displaying cooperative team behaviour.
- Proactively communicate, identify, report, assess WHS related risks and hazards within the centre(s).
- Support the implementation of and adherence to DVLC’s policies and procedures
- Perform additional duties from time to time, as required by the VCAL Coordinator and as needs arises
Qualifications and Experience
- VIT Registered
- Tertiary qualification in education
- TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment or its predecessor
- Qualifications and experience in youth work or welfare work highly desirable though not essential
- Diamond Valley Learning Centre Cnr Diamond Creek & St Helena Rd, Greensborough
- Melbourne Polytechnic (Greensborough Campus)
To assist students to re-engage in education through development and delivery of flexible, innovative and hands-on VCAL curriculum.
How to apply for this job
Applications close on Sunday, August 13th.
Call Tracey Wood (VCAL Coordinator) on 9435 9060 if you require more information. Office hours are 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.
Send your application to: email@example.com.